What is the 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC?
Teachers often struggle to translate the volume of TEKS standards and Social Studies content into manageable chunks of instruction. Front-loading teacher planning time with the 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC allows them to spend constructive time within their PLC designing engaging experiences and planning targeted lessons that promote content retention, comprehension, and historical thinking skills. Each cluster contains 2 to 4 short sub-cluster learning videos and an intervention learning video.
The 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC helps teachers build their understanding of big-picture concepts and content nuances through 40+ webinars and other resources that address the major topics.
The 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC:
- Aligns with the streamlined TEKS and trends from STAAR
- Embeds process-based instructional best practices and strategies from the Social Studies Playlist
- Subdivides major topics into units of study to allow more flexibility during PLC meetings
- Is organized by lead4ward clusters/subclusters
- Includes a 10-15 minute learning video for EACH subcluster and a cluster-specific intervention learning video
- Addresses the “how” and “when” for intervention (with strategies) – How and when should we intervene to ensure students are successful? And what methods could we use for students at different thresholds? Topics also include a webinar that discusses what intervention could look like for students who are struggling to access the stimuli and/or need support with inferential thinking.
- NEW Includes ready-made think along plans to introduce lead4ward’s spiral review throughout the year
Leaders, instructional coaches, and 8th grade teachers
8th Grade Webinar Topics
- Exploration and Colonization
- American Revolution
- Early Republic
- Age of Jackson
- Westward Expansion
- Reform and Culture
- Sectionalism and the Civil War